Rijeka is the third largest city in Croatia. Holding the biggest port in the country, you can bet is a developed and an exciting city to visit. Braced with its architectural buildings both in the outskirts and in the city, Rijeka is surprisingly beautiful. Apart from its lush beauty, the city is of great historical and cultural importance. The city has fascinating places to visit that will make your holiday memorable. Top attractions include old castles, impressive museums and galleries, churches and national parks. A great place for history buffs right? Outdoor enthusiasts are not left out too. The city has mountain areas with numerous trails for hiking and mountain climbing.
Explore the City That Flows
Your holiday in Croatia will not be complete if you don't explore Rijeka city. The attractions here and places to visit are quite numerous. Blame it on your time if you don't explore all the attractions. Some of the best exciting places to tour in Rijeka are;
1. Trsat Castle
Trsat Castle will offer you a breathtaking view of Rijeka city and its neighbourhood as it is located on a hill. The best way to reach this castle is by climbing the almost 600 steps way up to the hill. They are famously known as the stairway to heaven. Near the castle is a shrine known as Our Lady of Trsat worth visiting. It is the largest pilgrimage centre in western Croatia that attracts thousands of Catholics.
2. Risnjak National Park
If already you are in Rijeka and you are an outdoor lover, don't miss to visit Risnjak National Park. The park is heavily forested with a variety of animals and birds. There are both easy and more challenging hike trails and the choice is yours.
3. The Old City Tower
The city tower is an iconic symbol in Rijeka build in the middle ages. Though having been modified over time, it has lived to see the many changes throughout the ages. A walk to within Rijeka would be a great way to see the old city tower. Walk through the old medieval gate to reach the old town of Rijeka. This is one of the most interesting places for tourists to visit.
Other fun places to visit in Rijeka are Natural History Museum, Rijeka city museum, Rijeka Astronomical centre, Rijeka Tunnel, and the city market. Rijeka is famous for Croatia's most colourful festival and you don't want to miss a taste of the good nightlife here.
- For beach lovers, you will not find a beach in Rijeka but be sure to find some beautiful beaches nearby.
- You are probably used to sandy beaches. How about getting a different experience of the pebble beaches around Rijeka?
- The busiest tourism months in Rijeka are between Octobers to February. Expect hotel prices to be more expensive at the high season.
- Catching a bus or renting a car is the easiest way to explore Rijeka. The train service may be limited to some areas.
- It is illegal to drive while talking on your cell phone in Croatia. Breaking the law is the last thing you want in your holiday. Be cautious.