If the refreshing, full of life, vibrant, modern yet traditional, defines your taste, then, you can’t miss on this market of Gazreb, Croatia. Come, visit here, grab and savor the freshness poured into the fruits, vegetables, and flowers you can find here exclusively. And create and cherish a bundle of joy and beautiful memories forever in your heart as a sweet takeaway!
If you don’t want to buy anything, still the experience is rich. You get to meet local people and see authentic Croatia.
More about Dolac Market
Most of us are guilty of unhealthy eating while on travel. At the same time, when the stomach is satisfied, happy and healthy, the person perceives and captures the surrounding beauties much better and it enhances the travel experience. Do you want all of that in one place? We have brought you exactly that!
Introducing you to the famous tourist’s attraction - The Dolac Market, Zagreb, Croatia.
The Croatia’s capital, Zagreb, is also the biggest city of the country. The Dolac market is basically the farmer’s market.
Monday to Saturday: 7 am till 3 pm.
Sunday: 7 am to 1 pm.
Note: The fresh fish market, Ribarnica, is closed on Monday.
Located in the capital city Zagreb, the Dolac market is just a couple meters away from the City’s center, Ban Jalacic Square.
The structure of this market is set up in a way that it hasn’t lost its traditional touch in decades. You will find the mix of it all here, open market stalls and the sheltered market below too. It follows the traditional European marketplace structure and has preserved its exclusive rich feel. Even though there are many supermarkets in surroundings, this hasn’t lost its cultural value. The open stalls have big red beach umbrellas on top, making it a beautiful sight. The sheltered market downstairs has butchers and fresh, raw seafood is widely available.
Why should you visit Dolac Market?
- It is very popular among traveling health enthusiasts, and also for the culture vultures!
The tradition and trade lovers will find it no less interesting and captivating.
- You can indulge in some healthy, guilt-free grocery shopping.
- This has been the central traditional trading spot since the 1930s and hasn’t failed to amuse and attract people from the whole world to date, making it one of the most popular spots. There is a bronze statue of a lady farmer in the market. The market is a bit laid back and has an easy going and relaxed vibe. Flowers and laces, wooden toys etc are also found in many shops.
- You can expect to meet local people on the weekends out for groceries shopping here and get to see the real, authentic Croatia.
- You will get to see the Kumice culture, centrally woman sellers. Be nice and polite to the Kumice (the woman seller) by greeting her in the Croatian language to ensure that you grab the best material. This tradition makes the place even more unique in comparison to other marketplaces, in fact, many people have their favorite chosen Kumice and are her regular customers.
- Enjoy the exotic fresh homemade food, specialties and produce sold directly by the local farmers. Get access to the dewy fresh and cheap food ranging from fruits, vegetables, seafood, homemade pasta to the Croatian specialty “Sir I vrhnje” (cottage cheese and sour cream).
The market has a very beautiful mood set with colorful ambiance, exotic food, aromas, and homemade, handmade products. All these make it refreshing visit.
You cannot bargain here for the price, but then it is already sold very cheap that you would not want to!
- The exotic but cheap fresh produce from the local farmers with its rich flavor.
- Kumice culture
- Croatian specialty “Sir I vrhnje” (cottage cheese and sour cream)
- Buzzing vibrancy of the atmosphere
- Signature red beach umbrellas give an aesthetic appeal to the open market